The ERASMUS programme is available to regular students of the University of Vienna who have completed at least two semesters in the relevant field of study by the start of their ERASMUS stay. 

We generally recommend planning an ERASMUS stay soon after the 3rd semester, since you have greater flexibility regarding course choice.



  • The homepage of the International Office provides information on all relevant topics:
  • Target group
  • Application deadlines
  • Duration
  • Writing your thesis
  • Language requirements
  • Students with several degree programmes
  • Students of Teacher Education
  • Swiss-European Mobility Programme

Language certificate

  • For all non-German-speaking partner universities a language certificate which is not older than four years is required for the application. The required language proficiency is prescribed by the host university (at least B1). The specific requirements can be found here for each place. Please contact your favored university in order to find out the specific language requirements and whether they want an additional language certificate (like TOEFL, IELTS etc). 
  • Take into account that a language certificate in the respective national language is required for francophone universities in Belgium and Switzerland and all partner universities in France, Italy, Spain and Portugal.
  • Universities outside anglophone or Romance-speaking countries (e.g. Scandinavian or Eastern European countries) usually demand English language certificates. Please also make sure that the host university offers a sufficient amount of suitable courses in English.
  • The proof of an adequate language level has to be provided by the time of application. If applying for several countries with different language requirements, several certificates may be required.
  • Students of philological degrees as well as Translation Studies (Translationswissenschaft) do not have to provide a certificate if applying for a place within one of afore mentioned degrees. If, however, the host university demands a language certificate for the application, it has to be provided even by students of philological degrees and students of Translation Studies.
  • Further information on this topic can be found here.